The following recipes we’ve focused on are time-tested traditional home remedies for heartburn relief. Always consult your doctor to know which remedy works best for your condition.
1. Drink Water
Water is an effective, natural home remedy for many health problems. Adequate consumption of water helps in clearing excess acid that fills the esophagus.
- All you need to do is to drink 6 to 8 glasses of water every day whenever you suffer from heartburn problems.
- Make sure that you do not drink too much water because this could make your condition worse.
Anti-inflammatory properties in turmeric are beneficial for treating heartburn. One study indicated that the anti-inflammatory agents of curcumin inhibited esophageal inflammation. Both turmeric and its extract curcumin has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities. Because of this, turmeric can help relieve gastroesophageal reflux disease.
- Simply, you could add turmeric to your diet.
- Alternatively, you can take capsules of turmeric that are readily available before your meals to help deal with any acid reflux.
- Another option is to add a teaspoon of turmeric to a glass of buttermilk and drink this solution daily.
For people who are suffering from acid reflux, which causes heartburn, vinegar may trigger the sphincter between the esophagus and the stomach to close, thus preventing stomach acid from rising up and causing a burning sensation. Apple cider vinegar works best for heartburn condition.
- Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar into a glass of water.
- Drink it before your main meals.
Ginger has anti-inflammatory and carminative effects. It has been used to relieve gastric ailments, such as dyspepsia, bloating, and gastritis for thousands of years. Ginger soothes the gastrointestinal lining and may help decrease the production of stomach acid.
- Ginger can be used as a spice for cooking
- Another option is eating raw ginger pieces
- You can drink ginger tea.
Here are the detailed steps to make this tea:
- Add 1 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger to 1 cup of the boiling water.
- Allow it to steep for several minutes.
- Drink this herbal tea 3 or 4 times per day.
5. Fennel Seeds
One of the simplest home remedies for heartburn is chewing of fennel seeds. You can chew these seeds many times per day to refresh your breath, and soothe the lining of the digestive tract. You can also drink a cup of fennel seed tea. For making this herbal tea, you add 2 teaspoons of fennel seeds into a cup of boiling water, and then let it cool for about 10 minutes. Strain it to a cup, and you drink it slowly.
6. Aloe Vera Juice
A popular treatment for heartburn is aloe vera juice. This juice helps you to control heartburn by relieving the inflammation and healing your gastrointestinal tract
- Drink 1/4 cup of aloe vera juice around 20 minutes before you eat a meal for best results.
- You should not drink too much of this juice in a day because it may cause diarrhea and abdominal pain.
7. Cabbage Juice
Cabbage juice contains natural anti-inflammatory qualities that help with various types of digestive problems including heartburn.
- Grind two carrots and fresh cabbage in a juicer or blender.
- Drink this juice (one-half cup) in the morning on an empty stomach to prevent heartburn.
- You can also drink juices made from vegetables, such as carrots, radishes, beets or cucumbers to decrease the production of stomach acid – a main cause of heartburn.
8. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile has been used for multiple gastrointestinal conditions, such as ulcers, flatulence, and gastrointestinal irritation. It additionally contains medicinal properties that are a very effective treatment for heartburn. Besides, the tea helps decrease inflammation in your stomach.
- Boil water (one cup).
- Add the chamomile petals and then simmer for about a minute.
- Put off the flame and cover the pot. Leave it there for about 2-3 minutes.
- Strain and then pour this tea in one cup.
- Add a dash of lemon and honey each.
9. Lemon & Honey Tea
Honey and lemon are very effective in decreasing the occurrence of heartburn because it can sooth the lining of the esophagus.
- Mix the juice of half a lemon and a teaspoon of honey in a glass of warm water.
- Mix well and drink this mixture when you feel approaching heartburn.
- You can also consume the lemon-honey concoction along with the meals because it will help prevent heartburn.
10. Potato Juice
Another home remedy for heartburn is using potato juice. It is very alkaline and can therefore neutralize the acids in your digestive system, preventing heartburn. You should drink a glass of potato juice first thing in the morning. Only drink fresh juice and not packaged or synthetic juices available in the market. To prepare the juice, what you need to do:
- Use one medium-sized potato.
- Peel and wash this potato well and cut it into four pieces.
- Grind the pieces of potato in an electric mixer and strain the resulting content using one sieve.
- Dilute this juice with cold water but don’t add any herbs or spices to this juice.
Because buttermilk contains lactic acid, it can neutralise the acidity of the stomach and provide relief from acid reflux and heartburn.
- You can drink ice cold buttermilk (half a cup) after meals to get instant relief from heartburn.
- You can also use soy products and fermented milk in your diet to reduce the acid reflux problems.
- Stick to low-fat milk to prepare buttermilk because it will help in providing quick relief to heartburn problems.
Even though there are no studies on it yet, mustard can work wonders when you suffer from acid reflux attacks and can provide you with instant relief from heartburn. It is alkaline, which can help to neutralize the acid coming up due to gastroesophageal reflux disease.
- You need just take one teaspoon of yellow mustard) and mix it in half a glass of water.
- Drink this mixture.
- The yellow mustard contains turmeric as one of its major ingredients that will help combat digestive disorders.
We hope that you find the above home remedies for heartburn helpful in alleviating the symptoms. However, if you find no relief or experience discomfort, you need to consult a doctor immediately.